|Genre||Fiction, Young Adult|
|Publisher||Bloomsbury Publishing (UK)|
|Published||29 June 1997 – 21 July 2007|
Harry Potter, the widely popular children's series written by JK Rowling, features not only magic but also body modification.
In addition to the lightning-bolt shaped scar on Harry's forehead,
Lord Voldemort He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named, the evil wizard responsible for the death of Harry's parents, has branded The Dark Mark on the arm of each of his legion of followers (known as "Death Eaters").
The Dark Mark is represented by a serpent exiting the mouth of a skull. The mark is faded, but in time, as Voldemort's powers grow stronger through the series, the mark begins to burn darker and more clearly on the forearms of the followers, signaling his return.
Not unlike gang tattoos, the Dark Mark is a permanent sign that the wearer has aligned his or her self to Lord Voldemort. Other tattoos include those worn in the movie by Harry's godfather, Sirius Black (played by Gary Oldman).
Harry Potter fans range from small children to adults, and Harry Potter themed tattoos have begun to emerge.
In The Goblet of Fire, the fourth book in the Harry Potter series, Lord Voldemort touches his wand to the Dark Mark on Wormtail's arm, using it as a signal to call his followers to the graveyard where he is waiting for them.
The series also carries other references to body modification including; (Involuntary) Cutting when Harry is forced to (magically) cut the words "I must not tell lies" into the back of his hand by the "Ministry Approved" Proffesor Dolores Umbridge, (book five "The Order of the Phoenix"). And the more humorous rumor in book six (Half-Blood Prince) that Harry has a "Hippogriff" tattooed across his chest-
- " '...and all Romilda Vane does is ask me if it's true you've got a Hippogriff tattooed across your chest...I told her it's a Hungarian Horntail,' said Ginny, turning a page of the newspaper idly. 'Much more macho.'
- JK Rowling's Official Site
- Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone at the IMDB.
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets at the IMDB.
- Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban at the IMDB.
- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire at the IMDB.
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix at the IMDB.
- Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince at the IMDB.
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 at the IMDB.
- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 at the IMDB.